Saturday, June 29, 2013

Welcoming Tropical kings


Black Phoebe (taken 3/6/11)

Kino and I took a morning stroll today to the lake.  I heard a one note call which was not instantly recognizable until after I spotted the bird.   The Black Phoebe has not been seen in our neighborhood in months and is not a regular summer visitor so his appearance was a nice surprise. 

As I got closer to the "big," lake I thought I heard a short metallic trill but the calls of a multitude of Great-tailed Grackles drowned out the call.   I coaxed Kino closer, hoping to hear it again, and hoping my assumption as to its owner was correct.   It had been years, it seemed, since I'd seen it here at this lake.  It gave another short trilly burst just as some grackles cackled.   Kino sensed I was birding
and tried to turn us around.  Even though Kino resists birding on his walks, I tend to see more bird species with him since our walk forces me to slow down and observe. 

Tropical Kingbird (photo from 6-30-13)

Kino relented and moved closer to the main lake's shoreline.  It just after 7:00 so the heat hadn't kicked in quite yet.  Then I heard it call to my right, a long metallic trill which is the signature call of the Tropical Kingbird, whose northernmost range just reaches into southern Arizona.   Another call range out from my left, then another response in the same direction.   I confirmed three separate birds, two of which were exhibiting pairing behavior as they chased each other around the branches of a large cottonwood.   If they do nest it will be the first time in years at this location.  

As they chased each other I confirmed the brown notched tail, the best field mark at a distance to separate it from its cousins, the Cassin's Kingbird and Western Kingbird, who have black tails.   The other two species also presently reside in this area, so it is now possible to see all three species within a 200 yard stretch.  The Cassin's Kingbird is also uncommon in most of Tucson, being a resident of higher elevation grassland habitat, but ranges lower along large riparian washes.  

The lake also had some nice swallow variety.  Aside from a handful of Purple Martins, there was a Northern Rough-winged Swallow, 2 Cliff Swallows and Barn Swallow.  A regular Vermilion Flycatcher added another flycatcher to the list. 

Sonoran Spotted Whiptail

At home I had my first look at an Abert's Towhee just hatched this year, using our protected feeding area.   Later a young Pyrrhuloxia, also nicknamed the "desert cardinal," showed up at the suet feeder.   Two Turkey Vultures soared overhead and a Brown-crested Flycatcher called out from a yard nearby.  By 12:00 even the lizards were running for cover. This Sonoran Spotted whiptail took solace in the shadow created by a giant prickly pear pad.   My lizard identification skills are poor, but I find the site WWW.ReptilesofArizona helpful.   

Thank you for appreciating our wild neighbors braving the heat in our amazingly diverse Sonoran desert region. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

http://www.linkwithin.com/install?platform=blogger&site_id=2170911&url=http%3A//tucsonsparrowseeker.blogspot.com/&email=sparrowseeker%40gmail.com