Saturday, June 22, 2013

Flashback-Discovering Baxter State Park- Maine

In my mid to late twenties I rediscovered my passion for nature, yet found it difficult to get out into the wilderness with my friends from childhood.   I brought up camping but it seemed we could never agree on a date to head out into nature.   Finally in frustration I headed out on my own to camp in the remote forest of Baxter State Park in northern Maine.   This park would become one of my premier destinations while living in the northeast, and each trip was filled with adventure and discovery.  

For this first adventure I was a bit nervous, camping so remotely and without much experience.  I had never camped alone and all those stories in outdoor magazines made me unsure, and a bit scared.  When I arrived at my campsite I realized I was the only camper in this campground, and could not use other campers as a form of protection.   I would have to face my apprehension, alone in the middle of these remote, mysterious, woods.   

By the time I had unpacked it was dark, so I cooked dinner, hoping to distract my fears.   It was then, as I sat facing the warm fire, that I heard it for the first time, as it rustled the leaves behind me.   I froze, not wanting to turn around.  My mind went through the animals it could be, bear, moose, deer, coyote, fox, etc.   It sounded big, I thought.   Maybe it will just go away soon.   I heard it rustle again.   It was getting closer.  All my fears were now being realized.  I felt helpless and alone.   I knew I had to take some action soon but didn't know just what to do.   I was totally aware of every sound it made just ten feet behind me now.

I slowly reached for the flashlight.   I would have to be brave and face this intruder, then let the cards fall where they may.  Ok, technically I was the intruder but that point didn't seem relevant at the time.   I summoned my last bit of courage, then spun around, turning on the flashlight and pointing it toward the beast, and my fate.   It stared back, curious and unafraid.   It raised itself up on it's back legs, standing upright, still staring, curiously.   Standing fully upright it reached a full 5 feet-I mean inches, high.   Yes, it's true, my fear had been over a mouse, munching away on a morsel as it watched my slightly disappointed face.   

At that moment I became aware of how silly my fears have been.   It was a time of enlightenment which changed my fear into excitement, adventure, discovery, and love of life.  When I'm experiencing nature I feel alive, aware, and have a real joy of this gift of life we've been given.   If I had a church, I suppose it would be wherever the sounds of nature can be heard, where I can spend time in solitude, just listening and watching to the gifts we have on this earth, or heaven, whichever it is.   It seems when I'm out appreciating nature I am in heaven, receiving insight on just how simple life can be if we step off the treadmill and appreciate the beauty before us.  

The rest of my trip was filled with experiences.   Hearing and seeing a Barred Owl, watching moose at Sandy Stream pond, and just walking in the enchanted forests of northern Maine.  My trips to Baxter would help shape my wildlife opinions, discarding many wildlife myths learned in my childhood.    I'm thankful for the time there, and the valuable lesson taught by the curious mouse.   Thank you for appreciating the heavenly wildlife in our neighborhood, this earth.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

http://www.linkwithin.com/install?platform=blogger&site_id=2170911&url=http%3A//tucsonsparrowseeker.blogspot.com/&email=sparrowseeker%40gmail.com