Thursday, July 4, 2013

A tale of three Kings (Sunday 6/30/13)

Bell's Vireo
My walk with Kino went well, but even starting at 7:30 was almost too late to be out, especially with his heavy coat.  In our 45 minute excursion we saw or heard a few good birds, including a Great Blue Heron, Vermilion Flycatcher, and Yellow Warbler.  When I got home I watered our backyard plants in preparation for the burning 113 degree temperatures predicted for later that day.   A drab bird came into our Arizona Ash, and I almost passed it off as a Verdin. 
  As it came within five feet I recognized it as a drab and silent Bell's Vireo, which hopped about our mesquites and butterfly bush, finding some grubs or caterpillars hiding within the canopy. 



Possible Funereal Duskywing
   Its vocalizations were more varied than usual, and I took interest in hearing the other buzzy mumblings and wren-like calls as it searched for insects.   A Duskywing-type butterfly (Funereal Duskywing?) also visited the butterfly bush, and soon a young Pyrrhuloxia came to the suet feeder for an late breakfast.  A female Broad-billed Hummingbird managed a drink at one of the hummingbird feeders without being attacked by the territorial male Anna's. 



Female Broad-billed Hummingbird
Male Anna's Hummingbird







I spent most of the morning photographing lizards in the yard, and with each shot I was expecting to get the "out of memory," signal on the photo card.  I was hoping to get some pictures of the Tropical Kingbirds before lunch, so I set out at 10:30 on my quest. 


Cassin's Kingbird

 On the way to the lake I discovered a kingbird, but the contrast between the dark gray head and chest against the white throat proved it to be a Cassin's Kingbird.   He was giving his hoarse call sounding like a parent scolding his child to "Come here!"  I took some pics, hoping my photo card would hold out.

 I remembered my previous blog post and updated my day's quest to see all three kingbirds within this 200 yard section of paradise on this beautiful, 113 degree day. 



Tropical Kingbird



I only had another twenty minutes for lunch so I hurriedly walked around the lake's shoreline listening for the unmistakable metallic trill of the Tropical Kingbird.   Of course when it called the sound came from the furthest point on the far side of the pond.  I walked through the heat to the far side, and saw it perched on the low branch of a cottonwood.   I decided to snap some shots even though part of its body was blocked.  After four pictures my memory did card give out, but one picture still came out nicely (look left).   I trudged back, hurrying to lunch and to purchase another memory card. 

After a nice long lunch I returned at about 2:00 to the lake to continue my quest.  The key to any wildlife quest is to appreciate whatever natural spectacle is before you.  This philosophy seems to open up doors to the mysterious natural world, and a seemingly quiet area seems can become a wildlife mecca to those attuned to its melodic frequency.  As I walked across the grass this beautiful Monarch Butterfly practically posed for pictures., and I stopped thankfully to fully appreciate its beauty.   






Brown-crested Flycatcher juvenile
As I reached one the woody section at the back side of the pond a family of Lucy's Warblers chipped from a young cottonwood.   Another family of Ash-throated Flycatchers called from the adjoining mesquites.  Vermilion Flycatchers also had a successful nesting season.  As I continued a Brown-crested Flycatcher called, then I heard an unknown sound.   Tracking it down led me to this juvenile Brown-crested, obviously very hot even in the shade on this blistery hot day.   

Brown-crested Flycatcher juvenile









Separating juvenile Brown-crested and Ash-throated Flycatchers can be difficult. The BC Fly tends to be more yellow on the belly and has a larger bill.   The latter field mark, and the call of the nearby, seemingly protective BC Fly is what determined my call on this young bird. 





A mysterious splash caught my attention, and I turned to see this image as it disappeared under the surface...
What was it- some sort of manta ray!  A mini dragon returning from times past!
 
 

 

When it reappeared it did looked indeed like a son or daughter of Nessie.  It slithered forward showing its snake-like neck before disappearing again to the murky depths....





Neotropic Cormorant



Later, it finally it came ashore and its pointed yellowish throat helped to solve the mystery of the uncommon, yet always welcome, Neotropic Cormorant.  Anyone seeing this bird hold out its outstretched wings to let them dry would think it descended from long lost dragons. 

Vermilion Flycatcher


I caught sight of another family of Vermilion Flycatchers who nested successfully.  The lack of a pinkish vent (shows light yellow here) distinguishes this juvenile from the female adult.




Tropical Kingbird
A pair of Tropical Kingbirds played about the snags of the cottonwoods ahead, allowing a few more opportunities to document my excitement over their return to our desert shores.   Their brownish, lobed tails, larger bills, and more extensive yellow to the upper breast help to differentiate this species from our other resident kingbirds. 

As I watched them light off from the bare branches over the lake I could see they were feeling the heat, actually panting to stay cool.   Then one of the birds surprised me by flying down to the water's surface and splashing down temporarily, before returning to his perch.  He continued taking "dips," seemingly collecting water on his breast feathers and quenching his thirst simultaneously.   The wet breast feathers appeared yellower and a bit shaggier after this performance as shown below. 

Tropical Kingbird




The excitement of the variety of birds seen made me forget temporarily that I was walking in the open in 113 degree temperatures, without water, and next to a large wash, where heat intensity is greatest.  The excitement of nature's variety of life being revealed to me felt like a cool breeze.  

I knew my best bet for the third kingbird species would be just a hundred fifty yards across an open, exposed,  field toward a large dead Eucalyptus, which currently looked like a blurry impressionist painting from the heat waves distorting its image.  It would make one wonder if the tree were just a mirage.  I hesitated, looking through the scope to see if any birds could be seen on its bare branches.   The clarity was about as clear as an undersea world, but common sense told me nothing would sit exposed in the open on a day like today, except a stupid human looking for birds, I surmised, conclusively as I stepped forward to this new adventure. 

I walked with a quick gate toward that magical Eucalyptus which has brought so many amazingly spectacular birds over the years (previous blog entries). 
Western Kingbird
I still was not hopeful after feeling the full heat against me like a flame on the trip over.   I passed the tall Eucalyptus without seeing any movement, then turned back for one more look, already having one foot disappointingly pointed toward the car.   But there it was, stoically sitting on an exposed branch, wings drooped by the heats intensity,  and panting to stay cool, a behavior seen on many occasions this day.   The blackish squared tail with white edgings on each side, the small bill, and lack of distinct contrast between the throat and light gray upper breast, all pointed toward the Western Kingbird.  It was silenced by the mid afternoon burn, but still persevered in our harsh, yet forgiving climate. 
Western Kingbird















Cooper's Hawk on Nest
CI went back to the car and retrieved my water bottle guzzling the hot flavorless "tea."   A Cooper's Hawk sat by her nest above me, probably wondering when the heck the rain would come to cool her down. 





 
 
Abert's Towhee
On my second round about the shore an Abert's Towhee flew from the cover of the mesquites to the water's edge.  The way he stood poised over the cement rim looking toward the water had me convinced he was going to take a dive in his desperation to get some cooling relief.  

 


Male Purple Martin





A panting Purple Martin looked on, its dark  plumage glistening with the sun's mid afternoon rays. 












Juvenile Ash-throated Flycatcher
The Ash-throated Flycatchers I had heard at the beginning of my journey were still in the mesquites, with a family group of over five individuals.  The parents voiced warnings to their young to avoid this apparently deluged human who was willing to wander during this hellish weather.  I was able to sneak a picture as a youngster hid under the shade of the mesquites. 







Mt Lemmon fire as seen from our house (through scope)
That night the heat transformed itself into thunderstorms, which dropped some rain but were mostly angry outbursts from the sky.   Our parched landscape was no match for the lightning, and the grasslands on Mount Lemmon burst into flame from one of the strikes.  Although the fire was about 6-8 miles up the mountain road we could see it from our house as it raged at night the way the sun had during the day.  We hoped the animals there would find shelter, and that the fire would, in the long run, create more opportunities for plants and animals to thrive in our harsh yet rich desert habitat.   Thank you for appreciating all forms of our natural world for the gifts they bring to us.   









 

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

http://www.linkwithin.com/install?platform=blogger&site_id=2170911&url=http%3A//tucsonsparrowseeker.blogspot.com/&email=sparrowseeker%40gmail.com