Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Appreciation of Western Screech Owls

                                The Mysterious Western Screech Owl
Western Screech Owls, with their gray bark-like plumage and angular head, look like tiny wise tree spirits poking out from cavities in saguaro's and trees.  Although not uncommon in our valley they are not typically seen because of their camouflage, and because they can be hidden inside the cavity they've chosen to roost.  

Saguaro cavities seem to be a favorite for roosts or nests, but I have also found them in an Arizona Walnut cavity and on mesquite branches.   I have had city residents tell me of night sightings on top of their porch lights as well, which makes sense because of the moths that are attracted to these areas.   Screech Owls take to nest boxes as well, especially if their placed 10-15 feet high, and with extra holes drilled to cool them in this hot environment.   Facing the opening toward the north probably works best but we have one facing south, which is currently being used by a pair, which are probably nesting.   It may take a year to get them interested, but it can be used in all seasons for a roost site or for nesting in spring.


Of course, before putting up a nest box you want to make sure your environment is conducive to the owls, and safe for them.   It's OK to tell your pest control person not to spray your yard in addition to the house, since poisons become concentrated in predators.  This is because the poisons stay in the body and build up with each infected prey item they eat.  It is a fact that many animals in wildlife rehabilitation centers are there because of poisoning, and recovery is difficult.

Screech owls do not require a lot of hunting space, sometimes as little as an acre if it is kept natural.   Of course one of their favorite prey items is scorpions, which should be encouraging to most homeowners.  Just the other week I was coiling our hose back into its container against our house wall.  As I bent over the container y eyes kept noticing a tannish splotch a few inches before me, its shape indiscernible on this moonless night.   I finally got curious enough to pause and take the penlight from my pocket.
It illuminated a scorpion within jumping distance of my forehead.  I turned away for a second and it was gone.   Of course then a loose thread on my shorts brushed against my upper thigh and I did quite a jig before noticing the scorpion was actually still on the wall, almost hidden by a lantana bush.   Luckily the lack of moonlight hid my embarrassment.  I made a mental note to put up an extra nest box we have in the backyard mesquite, hoping to attract one of these tiny hunters to roost.  

One of the most enjoyable aspects of the Christmas Bird Count each year is the opportunity to call in owls using imitations of their call.  The Great Horned Owls typically don't need any prompting and are already calling from their nightly haunts in preparation for nesting season.  Other owls are far and few between so most of the time is spent trying to entice one of our smaller owls, the Western Screech Owl.   Since this owl's roosts are so hidden that the best time to see one is at night, by their call.  I typically limit this activity to the Christmas Bird Counts so as not to bother the birds too much.  

The best time to call in winter is between 3:00 AM and 6:00.   The owls seem to be more active, and there are very few cars to drown out their soft calls.   Location and positioning are important.   Riparian habitat near the intersection of a road and wash, or the intersection of two washes seems to work best.   Small ponds are also nice locations.   I stand so my frame is partially hidden by a small tree or bush, yet face in a direction where the low light can illuminate gray shadows coming toward the surrounding vegetation.  Many times while calling the birds will come in close before returning calls.   Their shadowy figure looks like a shadowy ghost as it crosses the road a few feet off the ground, making one wonder if their mind is playing tricks on them.  Luckily this feat is usually repeated so the watcher can experience the excitement and mystery of these seldom seen night hunters. 

 I begin playing my "Birds of Arizona and Sonora," CD in the bulky player-haven't caught on to the IPOD yet.    The rhythm of the call starts slow for the first twenty seconds, then ends with trilling and squawking.  It's the trilling that gets them talking in most instances.  As the CD begins trilling my ears will pick up another trill in response.  I pause the CD to be sure, and the trilling continues.   I feel one with the earth again as one, or sometimes two screech owls call back from their nearby perches.  They hoot and trill, trying to figure out where this fellow owl is hiding.  If I do call again, I turn the volume down to a non-threatening level.   Most times I just stand and listen to this gift I've received, slipping into a completely relaxed state of mind.   My cares disappear into the night, where magic and mystery can still be found for those willing to listen.

It's almost midnight and my eyes are getting heavy.  I will leave you with this peaceful sleeping pose of one of our most special residents, the Western Screech Owl.  Thank you for appreciating our beautiful, and sometimes mysterious neighborhood wildlife. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

http://www.linkwithin.com/install?platform=blogger&site_id=2170911&url=http%3A//tucsonsparrowseeker.blogspot.com/&email=sparrowseeker%40gmail.com