Monday, June 17, 2013

Running with wolves-flashback

It was a few years after college and my interest in birding and other animals was budding again.   I remember when I was younger being told this wildlife thing was just a phase by my parents.  I guess some phases can last a lifetime.   So when I heard that Jack Hannah (Mutual of Omaha) was giving a lecture on wolves, I had to find a way to attend.  It was a great talk, and I was mesmerized by the 2 wolves in attendance.   After the lecture, Jack told the audience that the wolf center needed volunteers to run with the wolves.  "Are you kidding!"  I practically exclaimed out loud.   It was a dream come true.   I called up the Audubon Center in Sharon Connecticut to fulfill my dream. 

The wolves were beautiful, one timber wolf male and a female red Wolf, who was the alpha (Rasta and Wolfie I think).   The caretaker explained that this is not like walking a dog.   I would be harnessed to the wolf and obliged to go wherever the wolf goes.  But first I would have to be accepted by the "pack," as a subordinate to boot.   She explained that when I entered the area the wolves would check me out, then the alpha Red wolf would put her paws on my shoulders, at which point my role would be to avoid eye contact and submissively look downward.    I was nervous about being accepted, but actually a little too confident about the run.   I had been training and thought this would be a breeze compared to the other runners.  

I found out afterward that wolves are extremely perceptive, like sixth sense perceptive.   They can look at a person and immediately know their strengths and weaknesses.  They know how far you can run and how fast.  They could probably tell you what you had for breakfast.  Being young and cocky I underestimated the intelligence of these incredible, wonderful souls.   

The introduction went well.   The greeting as the caretaker had discussed as the wolves checked out this curious visitor.   I knew the female alpha would put her paws up on me soon, but expected her to put them on my chest, like a dog.  Instead she surprised me by putting them completely over my shoulder, staring directly into my downward looking face.   I could feel the weight and power of her stare, which commanded respect.  Her body seemed so much taller, as if she had me under a delusional spell.  The seconds seemed like a minute, but I was accepted into the pack for the run.   

The caretaker was tied to Wolfie, and explained that the alpha typically leads in the run.   But no one told this to the wolves today, and I think they had their own little agenda for this cocky newcomer.    First Rasta the timber wolf  walked straight up to my car's bumper and marked his territory, obviously.   Before I could object he was off like a shot, with Wolfie content to let him lead the way.   I was at a full sprint to keep up for close to a mile, until Rasta got distracted by a deer carcass.    I frantically gasped for oxygen while he fed, and Wolfie caught up to us with the caretaker.   Then we were off again, my pride left in the field with the deer carcass, humility filling the space left by its absence.  

Afterward the caretaker told of another volunteer who wanted to run with the wolves.  He was an old man, and she explained that the wolves will run.  "I can't run, but I want to go out anyway," he replied.   After they harnessed up the wolves went outside and walked at a slow pace the entire way.   I realized the intelligence and compassion of these beings puts them on a higher plane, one that deserves respect from all humanity.  Thank you for appreciating our brothers and sisters, fellow travelers along our journey to understand life and each other. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

http://www.linkwithin.com/install?platform=blogger&site_id=2170911&url=http%3A//tucsonsparrowseeker.blogspot.com/&email=sparrowseeker%40gmail.com