Sunday, June 23, 2013

Baxter State Park flashback-If there's a fork in the trail, take it,,,unless of course there's a moose in the way

It was Autumn when I made the 10 hour drive to Baxter State Park for my time of solitude and refreshment of the soul.  Technically Baxter was closed so I had to camp outside the park.   This time I chose to camp alone rather than stay at a hunter's camp nearby.   I was a little wary because the moose were in the rut, and tracks ran all through camp.  This was especially evident after a snowfall of three inches of snow fell one night.   I had heard that when moose are in the rut, they'll charge at anything that even appears to be a threat to their love life. 

I signed in each day next to about 10 other names of people who would be sharing the 200,000 acre park that day.   I doubted we would run into each other in such an expanse.     I was ready for a wildlife adventure, or so I thought.   I must admit though, that after 3 days had passed I had not had any unusual wildlife sightings.   I was hoping I could at least see a moose.  

The next morning I set out for Sandy Stream Pond.   It was one of the more reliable moose locations.   I walked the trail slowly and deliberately so as not to create human-like noises to scare off wildlife.   I was now near the pond's shoreline, and taking a trail through some thick foliage.   In fact the vegetation was so thick I did not even see the bull and cow moose coming down the trail toward me on the way to the lake, and apparently they didn't see me as well.   When they popped into view at the trail intersection we were only five feet away from each other.  

Luckily surprise was in my favor as both scuttled past and into the shallow pond.   I recovered from my initial shock and cursed myself for not getting any pictures.   Then again, I thought,  if I backtracked I could get some good shots with my telephoto lens from about thirty yards.   I walked quietly back to a more open area and began taking some pictures.   At one point my view was obstructed so I moved over about twenty yards to a better vantage point.   By the time I got there the bull had disappeared from view.   While I shot photos of the remaining cow I was startled by something crashing through the brush to my left, from where I had just moved.   I had the realization that the bull had just charged toward me, and the fact that I had moved was my only saving grace.   I stood motionless.   Perhaps he would go back to the lake.  

Unfortunately I was in plain sight of the cow.   I'm not sure if she liked the whole picture taking idea as well.   She started walking out of the lake directly toward my location.   I only had one option.  I dropped my pack and ran like the wind.   As I ran I heard something just to my right.  It was the bull just fifteen feet away and just taking notice.   I fired up the octane in my legs and ran until I was out of the forest on a dirt road.   I waited a couple hours before going back for my pack, being alert to any sound along the way.  

After that experience I had had my share of moose for the trip.   I took a trail by Nesowadnehunk Field just for change of scenery.   As the trail went uphill the vegetation closed in on either side until I couldn't even push my way through either side.   I was restricted to going up or down.   It was then that I heard the clashing of antlers above me.   Then more clanking from where I had just been below.  There was probably an epic battle of wills going on yet my only concern was for a good strong tree to climb.   I found one and climbed up 15 feet to a place I could rest for the next 45 minutes while the battle ensued.   I heard the brush being tossed about as these gladiators crashed through it in their fight for dominance.   The thick vegetation did not slow them at all, it seemed.   I listened until the fight seemed to carry on down the mountain, then waited another 15 minutes before beginning my descent down the tree.  

 It was then that I saw him coming down the trail toward me.   A bull moose, apparently the loser from the way its head hung low on the slow walk down the trail.   As he got closer I came to the conclusion that my tree was no match for him if he decided I was an intrusion.   He stopped right at the base of the tree, where my camera and backpack lay.   Then he looked up at my clinging figure.  My heart pounded so hard it was audible from below.   After what seemed like an eternity he moved on down the trail.

My hike was over.  I waited another 15 minutes and walked cautiously down the trail, ensuring a climbable tree was always in sight.   It was a slow walk but eventually I was within 200 yards of the relative safety of my car.   I relaxed and trodded on toward freedom.  It was then that it seemed the ground raised up from a swampy area nearby.   It was another bull, this one with a rack looking like a snowplow, swinging his attention toward me, with others turning as well toward this uninvited guest.  

I panicked since I did not have a tree readily available.   This character looked like most trees were mere inconveniences for him anyway.   But I backtracked and found one, climbed it quickly and waited.   As I left it was getting close to dark, and I headed back to camp, hoping my moose encounters were over for this trip.   My next day's hike was just a battle with the elements and hypothermia, thankfully.   I will always remember my encounters with these majestic beings, and the respect they deserve.   Thank you for appreciating our natural wildlife wonders .

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

http://www.linkwithin.com/install?platform=blogger&site_id=2170911&url=http%3A//tucsonsparrowseeker.blogspot.com/&email=sparrowseeker%40gmail.com