Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Night Flights and Sparrow sights

Having a relaxing B'day hanging out with my bud.  He's laying against my legs as I sit on the floor.   He didn't make it to the pond tonight but we were able to walk to the mailbox and back.  When we got back Lilly and Daniel Boone were sitting at the door waiting with expectant looks to their big brother.   His big smile tonight shows his happy demeanor, always happy to be with his family.   Even this morning he had a look of peaceful contentment as I stroked his head and neck and said good bye.
I woke at 3:30 AM this morning and almost went back to sleep, but for the curiosity as to whether Purple Martins would be in flight over the house at this early hour.   I stood on the porch
, and soon heard their chirps piercing the night air from the cloud cover above.  One of their calls seemed different than the daytime call, reminiscent of the sonar calls of a dolphin, seemingly used as an echolocation technique through the ocean of cloud cover.   The call was like a single sharp pluck of a guitar string with two fingers.   I was thankful for the experience even with the loss of sleep.   I hope the calls can be heard above the air conditioning background noise in this video. 


As I started my bike trek home I was thankful the rain was still holding off for the time being.   A Rufous-winged Sparrow sang from an exposed perch in a small tree, a repertoire calling two notes followed by a trill.  Hearing this bird sing so close to an industrial park gave me hope that I may one day hear its song in our yard as well.  There is one only a hundred fifty yards away, just out of earshot for countability on my yard list.  Hopefully some of our acacia will encourage this species, which uses this small native desert tree for nesting.   The video below is for the ears, not the eyes since the bird was too far for focusing. 

Aside from birthday celebrations mid July is also when hummingbird migration starts in earnest through the valley.   I may put up a few extra feeders to help attract the striking Rufous Hummingbird, and hope for a new visitor to our little natural paradise.   Thank you for appreciating life's little gems in the natural paradise we call home. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

http://www.linkwithin.com/install?platform=blogger&site_id=2170911&url=http%3A//tucsonsparrowseeker.blogspot.com/&email=sparrowseeker%40gmail.com