Sunday, July 14, 2013

Another Summer Day in the Desert




I woke this morning before light and went on our porch to listen to the Purple Martins.   I had noticed Thursday morning that they have started their mornings before light, as in other monsoon seasons.   I wonder if it is the humidity which sends them on such high flights hours before dawn each summer.  It was pleasant to hear their chirps high above as daylight approached.
Scout and Daniel Boon (Deebs)

After my shower Scout wanted some special attention so I lay in bed giving him belly rubs.  He's the only cat I know who rolls over to get his belly scratched.  As I lay a Brown-crested Flycatcher called from just outside the window, where we have myiarchus flycatcher nest box erected (built for Ash Throated or Brown-Crested species).   This is the second morning in a row he has been there.   I hoped this would be the year
, late as it was, for this box to be occupied by this loud yet welcome summer visitor. 









Sweet Lilly

In the living room Lilly was enjoying the early morning rays.   She looked so cute as she rolled around in the sunlight.  








Daniel Boone, Sassy, Pickle, Scout, and Lilly

All the kitties were had fun this week when Mrs. S brought home a play stove.  They have to investigate any new change to the household, and this one was particularly interesting to explore. 











In the afternoon a Mourning Dove could be heard hooting from inside the house, the sound reminiscent of someone blowing air over the top of a partially filled bottle.   His larger desert cousin, the White-winged Dove, was also taking advantage of our suet feeder.  White-winged Doves are known for being pollinators of the Saguaro Cactus.  They are also the subject of a Fleetwood Mac song, although I never knew she was saying "Just like a White-winged Dove," until after I moved to the desert.




Female or Juvenile Broad-billed Hummingbird
A male and female Broad-billed Hummingbird found solace in our feeder, much to the dismay of the Anna's who had claimed it as his own.   In retaliation he zoomed straight upwards for fifty feet, all the while looking down at his target in ninja swordsman pose (his bill being the sword), before diving at incredible speed toward the offending parties, chasing them from their sugary feast. 

As I observed I realized I was being observed by the Anna's Hummingbird as he fluttered just 12 inches from my bewildered eyes.  He seemed interested in my glasses and scuttle sideways until his wing beats tickled my right ear.  I stood still, wondering if he would actually land on my glasses.  His curiosity was soon satisfied, he went back to his guard post on a low mesquite branch.  Meanwhile the Broad-billed gathered white cat fur we left hanging on our catclaw vine.

In late afternoon I took a half hour to check out the ponds.   Someone had reported over a hundred American White Pelicans heading northwest from Benson, and I was hoping some would stop.   I had missed their presence on two other occasions at the lake and really wanted to see them in our neighborhood.   The big lake had no pelicans but 3 Cliff Swallows cruised the airways.   I spotted one of the few Purple Martins unsuccessfully attempt to catch a high flying dragonfly. 

Clark's (Sonoran) Spiny Lizard
I stopped by the cattail pond and immediately saw a strange lizard on the trunk of a large cottonwood.  It looks like a probable Clark's Spiny Lizard, different from the Desert Spiny or Twin Spotted Lizards in our yard.   The horizontal bars on the legs help differentiate the two species.  Other lizards were about as well, but I'm not positive on their ID's.  One does share the horizontal leg bars with the first pic but the rest seems different, and doesn't match any other lizard pictures on local websites.   


Unidentified Lizard

Western Kingbird



A Great Horned Owl hooted, a bit early since it was only mid afternoon, but they can let out a burst on stormy days on occasion.  A Gooding's Willow attracted two Western Kingbirds on its top branches, sallying out for flying insects.







Northern Rough-winged Swallow
 A family of Northern Rough-winged Swallows shared the same tree on lower bare branches hanging over the water, no doubt taking advantage of the insect feast as well.











As I parked in the driveway a Twin-Spotted Spiny Lizard took cover under our ocotillo. 









We finished dinner late but I was still able to get Kino out in time to see another sunset.  Thank you for your appreciation of all the natural wonders this world has provided for the lucky beings who are able to see and experience it.








No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

http://www.linkwithin.com/install?platform=blogger&site_id=2170911&url=http%3A//tucsonsparrowseeker.blogspot.com/&email=sparrowseeker%40gmail.com