Saturday, October 19, 2013

Superatural Laws of birding/naturewatching

In my limited experience with birding and nature watching I've come to understand that there are certain seemingly supernatural yet unexplained coincidences with regard to many exciting finds.  I will try to list some of these I've discovered along the way.  Perhaps you can identify with some of these in your own wanderings.  

Observations from an amateur, yet lucky, nature enthusiast.  

A rare bird is more likely to show up after you've studied them intensely.   In other words,the more prepared you are to identify a bird the better your chance of seeing that particular specie.  Our neighborhood sparrow list is pretty diverse, partly due to my desire to figure out identification tips on this group of birds.  I highly recommend the book "Sparrows of the United States and Canada," By David Beadle and James Rising.  

Thinking about a species increases the chance you will see it in the near future.   Talking about it to a friend increases the chances even more.   One of the practices which helped me build my neighborhood list (over 240 species) is to go through the species accounts in the back of the latest edition of "Finding Birds in Southeast Arizona."   The accounts show that anything is possible when it comes to vagrants in unexpected areas.  For example, who would believe a Snow Bunting from the Arctic would show up in Arizona!  I remember talking to my friend Mark about the possibility of a Sage Sparrow in our neighborhood, which seemed unlikely since there were no records in Tucson.   A couple years later on my bike commute home I was stunned to  find a Sage Sparrow in our field by the woodland road!  Now that this species has recently split I'll have to revisit my video to verify it is the a Sagebrush Sage Sparrow or the even rarer Bell's Sparrow. (video on July 2012 post) 

Be curious-study everything including the seemingly ordinary.  Some of the best finds were almost passed over as ordinary birds.   But once they were in the bins my eyes would widen with discovery!  Like the probable mockingbird which was a Yellow-billed Cuckoo!

The best way to find a rare species is to be still.   This is my most difficult reality.  It goes against my thinking to stay still for ten minutes and just watch and listen.   Yet whenever I do the birds respond, revealing themselves in a spectacular display.   Of course it helps to be in good habitat, but it could happen anywhere!

A rare bird is always a surprise.   I am always astonished by each new bird I see since it just happens so unexpectedly.   Like the Sage Thrasher that popped up on a fence while walking the wash.     

A genuine appreciation for everything you see increases your chances to see something magical!  I make a point to stop and appreciate the Arizona Sycamore in our neighborhood, and, although I don't expect anything, I almost always come across something interesting afterward. 

Even an hour of birding can turn up a rarity.   I remember twice in 2009 going to the cattail pond for just a half hour with Mrs S.  On one short visit a Prothonotary Warbler made an appearance in the cattails.   On the other a Mexican Jay called out from the cove's shoreline.  

Being thankful for what you've seen already can create a positive energy which brings in more exciting finds.   Again, this is tied to appreciation of everything, especially everything natural.   But I must say that the gratitude must be genuine and selfless.  

Visiting other types of habitats will tend to bring birds from that ecosystem to your neighborhood.  I can't explain this effect except to say that, for one reason or another, when I visit another area, such as Mount Lemmon, it seems one or more of its birds "follows," me home to be seen within weeks of the excursion.   

The worst weather brings the best birds.    Any weather change should be noteworthy for birds, but the worst storms bring the best birds.   I find this particularly true in winter, when snow in the mountains can drive species down to the valley.  

Always foster the attitude, "Anything is possible!"  Because when it comes right down to it, anything is possible, any time.   A Red-footed Falcon can show up in the Northeastern US, and a Rufous-necked Wood Rail can show up in New Mexico!  Or a Sabine's Gull, which tends to migrate over oceans, can show up at our lakes!

Rare birds tend to show up with similar species.   For example, our habitat is conducive to Cassin's and Western Kingbirds in great numbers, so it makes sense to see Tropical Kingbird as well.   If an area is popular with buntings, watch for Painted Bunting!   

The Rare Bird Effect.   One rare bird found in an area can spring more unusual sightings just based on the increase of birders to the area.   My earlier post on "2009, a Good Year," explains this more completely.   More recently, my friend Paul discovered a Rufous-backed Robin at a local park, which led to a discovery of a Magnolia Warbler, which led to the discovery of a Red-shouldered Hawk!

Do you have a natural or supernatural, law you would like to share.  Thank you for your appreciation of our local, uncommon and common,  wildlife.


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

http://www.linkwithin.com/install?platform=blogger&site_id=2170911&url=http%3A//tucsonsparrowseeker.blogspot.com/&email=sparrowseeker%40gmail.com