Monday, October 7, 2013

Appreciating natural firework displays

It was a Monday night  (9-23) and I was hanging out with Kino on the lawn by the lake.  Most of the time I carry him over now due to his mobility constraints, but he seems to like the ride, and one block is not far for his 60 pounds.  He does walk in the grass a little once we're there, but mostly wants to lie down and enjoy the scenery.   Tonight I had arrived home late so it was already dark when we left.  He lay down sideways and lay his head on my lap, and we enjoyed the cool night breeze of early Autumn in the desert. 

The low night lights of the recreation center were already attracting moths.  As I watched a Lesser Nighthawk came into view, and I was thankful for seeing this bird after many had already left for the winter.   After a time I lay back and stared at the stars.  Every once in a while it seemed a fine short streak of gray would pass so quickly it made me wonder if I had seen anything at all.  After a few instances I was sure these streaks were in fact meteors, however brief their stay.   I had sat up again when the sky seemed to light up as a meteor streaked on a long burning course to the Catalina Mountains.   It was the longest lasting meteor I had ever seen, and the lowest against the horizon.   It's flame split and sputtered like a firework toward the end of its path, and I felt sure a piece could have made it to the ground somewhere in the city.  

It was Saturday the 28th just around dusk.   I am conversing with my neighbor when a bright light shoots across the sky.  It was amazing since it was still light out, yet this meteor was still bright enough to be seen clearly.  Afterward I carried Kino to the lake.  The tennis court lights are on, and I see our the underwings of our lone nighthawk illuminated as it circles about like a figure skater on an invisible surface of ice.  It was the first I'd seen him since our other meteor experience.   It felt like a case of deja vu, in reverse.   I watched, thankful for the chance to see and appreciated the natural gifts provided every day for those willing to stop, watch, and listen.  Thank you for your appreciation of our wildlife. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

http://www.linkwithin.com/install?platform=blogger&site_id=2170911&url=http%3A//tucsonsparrowseeker.blogspot.com/&email=sparrowseeker%40gmail.com