Sunday, October 13, 2013

It's a long, long road

This weekend was spent mostly in the yard getting brush out to the curb for the biyearly bulk pickup in our neighborhood.   By the end of Saturday my shoulders were bruised from carrying logs and arms were sore from all the heavy sawing with the pruning saw.    One of the items brought out was a heavy, yet broken cement bird bath base.  This was soon returned when Mrs. S informed me it was an antique.  She is an expert on thrifting, arts and crafts, and I do remember carrying that a good half mile through the desert when first found.  It seems the heaviest items are always the most valued, at least when I'm there to carry it.   I remember once birding a wash with a friend and coming across a solid cement bench support with a design in it.   I told him I'd better carry it out since "It's cumbersome and heavy, so she'll love it.   She did and it now adorns our back yard.  At least in exchange she agreed not to accidentally put any of my personal belongings in the garbage or bulk pickup (such moose antlers, found only after hiking up a swampy trail for over 3 miles in Baxter State Park).


Mrs S. had to work this weekend but it was just as well since it is difficult to navigate the yard without inadvertently stepping on a planting.    I missed having Kino out there "supervising," from the porch like previous years, but at least he was in good spirits and alert.  On Sunday morning just as we headed to the lake an Osprey came into view, and I thought how lucky I was to be able to see this majestic animal from my driveway.   Despite Kino's apparent aversion to bird watching, he allows me to slow down and see more.   Once I even counted 41 species of birds during our 3/4 mile walk.

After an intense afternoon of work I carried Kino over to the lake again.   It was a windy evening and he loves windy days like I love watching wildlife.   When we got there he contently lay down, the breeze bristling his beautiful white mane.   I lay back next to him, immersed in the sereneness of the moment, watching the stars, and a satellite which slowly crossed over the sky.  I wondered if I would be able to appreciate these moments without Kino.   I gathered it just wouldn't be the same without him there to share the experience.   
Kino (Pic from another post)

I was happy to see the Lesser Nighthawk again despite the lateness of the season.  It's flight was different tonight, as it glided swiftly for long distances on the seemingly icy surface.  Even its flaps were hurried.   I wondered if it was a sign that his time here was short despite the thousands of bugs at the lights.  All it takes is one day of frost to put a damper on the food supply.  That could happen any day-time was short.  I silently wished him good luck on his impending journey.  

After a half hour or so Kino indicated he wanted to get up so I pushed against his hind quarters as he struggled.  He did walk about twenty yards with breaks in between, where he would lean against my leg for stability.   I get the feeling Kino is ready for his journey but I am still not ready for him to go just yet.   I'm the one pushing him to stay for another day, another week, another month.   He obliges because he knows how important it is to me, his friend, his brother.   

It was getting late and I knew the kitties would be waiting at the door for him to return, as they always do.   I knelt down and picked him up, then set off toward home.  He gave me a dog's hug, pushing his neck against mine, his chin resting on the back of my shoulders as he looked behind me into the darkness.  In a well of emotion I was suddenly reminded of an old yet enduring favorite tune by The Hollies,  "He ain't Heavy...."
The Hollies "He Ain't Heavy, He's My Brother."
   

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

http://www.linkwithin.com/install?platform=blogger&site_id=2170911&url=http%3A//tucsonsparrowseeker.blogspot.com/&email=sparrowseeker%40gmail.com