Monday, October 7, 2013

It was Late one Winter Night-flashback

It was 1990, towards the beginning of my wildlife awakenings.   Looking back I wonder if I knew more then than now, at least regarding nature.   It was a time when coyotes were still scarce in many parts of the northeast, and sometimes not welcome.  I would make special trips to the Pound Ridge Reservation, scanning the fields for a glimpse of these amazing hunters, looking very wolf-like in their heavy winter coats.   I was also shaking off layers of teachings from my youth which did not fit with my new understanding of wildlife.   I was mostly alone in my quest for natural teachings, yet it also made each lesson more memorable and distinct.   Hope your enjoy this poem in the style of "Twas the Night before Christmas," in a time when childhood myths were being broken down in my mind, revealing a course of thought based on experience, not hearsay or fairy tale.

                                     A COYOTE COMES ON A WINTER NIGHT

It was late one winter night,
and all through the  woods,
only a few Deer were stirring
from the field where I stood.

As I walked into the Darkness
they vanished like Ghosts.
But it wasn't the deer
I wanted to see most.

It's the mysterious Owl,
as silent as the wind.
I would imitate mouse squeaks
to lure that hunter in. 

I crouched in tall grass, 
my calls were so nice, 
though there's another predator
who's attracted to mice.

He came like a flash

to the left, then to the right!
I now yearned to be home
on this cold winter night.

When he came to a stop
he was ten feet away.
I carried no weapons
to keep him at bay. 

The high grass still hid him
as I tried to calm m fear.
It can''t be anything dangerous,
probably just a confused deer.

Inside I knew better.
I've read about him before.
I sounded one more squeak
just to be sure.

He let out a growl
to answer my question.
I knew it was a coyote 
but what were his intentions?

I've read in my books
a coyote won't hurt you.
Though from where I sat now, 
it was a different point of view.

His growls seemed muffled,
like he still wasn't sure.
I thought if he saw me, 
he'd disappear like like a blur.

I got to my feet
and turned to see him depart.
He didn't budge at all, 
and his growls became barks.

I checked all my options.
There were no trees nearby.
No houses in sight. 
I was one desperate guy!

As I walked through the field, 
I turned, only to see
his shadow figure
coming closer to me!

I broke into a sprint, 
and constantly looked back,
I thought he'd pursue.
I thought he'd attack!

The coyote was so close
and security so far.
I realized regretfully, 
I'd locked up the car!

I heard one last howl
as I made it to the door.
But the key seemed to big.
The hole seemed too small.

He'd never given chase.
He never moved in.
It'd be an easy fight.
He surely would win.

Once safe I reflected, 
and came to surmise,
I wasn't so scared of him
as he was of I.  

So in closing I say, 
if it  should happen again.
I'd feel safer with a coyote,
than if I'd met another man.

This is mostly true except for the last howl, which never happened.   It is true that I was never in danger, that the danger only existed in my mind, based on myths passed down erroneously for generations.   I guess we all have our own journey in discovering what is truth and what is myth when it comes to our neighborhood wildlife.    When it comes down to it, we are all beings struggling for happiness, however brief, in a life which can be difficult.   Imagine if we gave our non human neighbors the graces, forgiveness, and understanding currently reserved solely for human counterparts.  It would be a very different world, I imagine, and one we would all want to live in.  Thank you for appreciating and understanding our natural, non human counterparts in this unique civilization.  For being a good neighbor and recognizing all our neighbors in this crazy life.  

(Perhaps this paragraph was too preachy but what's done is done.  I blame my Catholic childhood and the bewitching hour for these late night outbursts.   Hmmm-using Catholic and bewitching in the same sentence-is that allowed?  Hehe)


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

http://www.linkwithin.com/install?platform=blogger&site_id=2170911&url=http%3A//tucsonsparrowseeker.blogspot.com/&email=sparrowseeker%40gmail.com