Tuesday, August 7, 2012

The Benefits of Cattails

Recently I wrote a letter to a friend who's community had a beautiful cattail pond, only to find it was diminished to a fragment of its original splendor.  Cattail habitat in southern Arizona is extremely rare, and very conducive to many bird species due to the abundant life it supports in a relatively small area.  But cattails often get categorized with such terms as weeds, pests, varmints, and the like by people who are either misinformed or have a superior sense of royalty over their surroundings.  Many times we react without thinking based on preconceived notions, some perhaps left over even from our childhood.   

Far be it from me to speak of perceived superiority in others when tonight here I was, cutting down cattail stands in my neighborhood pond.   The Cooper's Hawks complained as I worked, and a Yellow Warbler called out in protest.  I knew my argument for the better good wouldn't sit with the grackles especially, who's empty nests still lay in a couple stands (not active)..  As I cut my last stalk and pulled, a branch sticking out of the water sliced a paper cut into my finger as punishment, but my thoughts did a much better job.

You see I have an arrangement that allows me to trim our cattails yearly to avoid a more drastic measure which took place before, which was a spraying of chemicals over a large area.   Ironically, this was often performed just before the first frost, which would have had the same effect on the reeds anyway, without the poison or cost.   I know this current agreement is fragile, but I save our community close to a thousand dollars, and get to keep this beautiful habitat intact.  So hopefully this compromise will last, or our entire neighborhood will gain an appreciation of our beautiful reeds. 

But for tonight I cut away a small stand after a neighbor's comment, probably to improve their view, while thinking  that I would love the view of cattails from my yard!  I collected some seed heads for our yard, wishful thinking on cattail garden perhaps (once we recycle our water). or just as a resource for our hummingbirds to make future nests.  When I got home I realized I could have brought the bunch home for mulch, or for a winter micro habitat, but it may be too late now.  If the bunch is there tomorrow I may need to grab them.   

I returned home where Scout gave me a plaintive meow for attention, sensing my inner tribulation.  Pickle came over as well, then Hadley, and even shy Lilly came by to sniff my fingers.   Kino stayed close, and is even staying up with me at this late hour.   It's good to know our companion animals love us so much even when we doubt ourselves.   

Below is the letter I wrote, slightly edited, for my friend;

The last time we spoke we discussed the benefits of cattails.   I'm attaching a file of cattail birds by my memory.   They are arranged first by the ones who rely on the cattails the most, say for nesting, etc.   Then are the birds which are drawn to the habitat, but usually with other factors, like nearby riparian vegetation.  I also included a column for ones I know have been seen at our cattail pond or at Agua Calienter.  The Agua Caliente column is not all inclusive.
Many birds use the cattails as protection while drinking, and it can also create a migrant trap.  Our cattail pond, in conjunction with the nearby vegetation of cottonwood, Goodings Willow, and understory plants have attracted a lot of birds over the years including White-eyed Vireo, Hutton's Vireo, Cassin's Vireo, Rufous-crowned Sparrow, Tricolored Heron, Willow Flycatcher, Mexican Jay, Black-bellied Whistling Duck,and American Redstart.  
Some benefits of cattails is that they;
1.  Provide valuable habitat for wildlife, and a safe place to drink.
2.  Act as a purifying filter for the water source, taking out many contaminents.
3.  Neutral net effect between evaporation and the water used by plants.   They use about as much water as they save from evaporation by creating shade.
4.  Birds use seedpods for nests (especially hummingbirds), and cattails provide great protected nesting sites as well.  Stalks used to build nests as well.
5.  Create a rich food source for birds. 
6.  Easily maintained with trimming-no need for chemicals. 
7.  Used as protective nursury (egg laying) by frogs, toads and salamanders, and fish as well.
8.  Helps create migrant trap for rare birds due to the rich food source.  
9.  Especially great habitat for wintering birds such as Marsh Wren, Common Yellowthroat, Sora, Virginia Rail, and Swamp Sparrow.
10. Edible!  It seems almost every part of the plant is edible, and the stalks can also be used for weaving. 


SpeciesOurAguaDoes Habitat
draw bird in

Cattail PondCaliente
American CootY Y
Black-bellied Whistling-DuckY Y
Common YellowthroatY Y
Least BitternYYY
Lincoln's SparrowY Y
Marsh WrenY Y
Northern WaterthrushY Y
Pied-billed GrebeY Y
Prothonotary Warbler Y Y
Red-winged BlackbirdY Y
Solitary SandpiperY Y
Song SparrowY Y
SoraY Y
Swamp SparrowY Y
Virginia RailY Y
Wood DuckYYY
American Bittern YY
Chestnut-sided Warbler  YY
Common Moorhen YY
Least Sandpiper  Y
Nelson's Sparrow   Y
Sedge Wren   Y
Abert's TowheeY

American RedstartY

Belted Kingfisher


Black PhoebeY

Black-and-white Warbler


Black-crowned Night-HeronY

Brewer's BlackbirdY

Eastern Phoebe Y

GadwallY

Gray Catbird 
Y
Great EgretY

Greater YellowlegsY

Great-tailed GrackleY

Hermit ThrushY

Hutton's VireoY

Least Grebe 


Lesser NighthawkY

Lesser Yellowlegs


Long-billed Curlew


Long-billed Dowitcher


MacGillivray's WarblerY

MallardY

Nashville WarblerY

Northern Rough-winged SwallowY

Orange-crowned WarblerY

Painted Bunting 


Purple MartinY

Red Phalarope 


RedheadY

Ring-necked DuckY

Ruby-crowned KingletY

Ruddy DuckY

Rufous-crowned SparrowY

Semipalmated Plover


Sharp-shinned HawkY

Short-billed Dowitcher 


Snowy EgretY

Tricolored Heron Y

VerdinY

Western Sandpiper


Western Screech-OwlY

Western Wood-PeweeY

White-throated SparrowY

Willow FlycatcherY

Wilson's Snipe


Yellow-billed CuckooY

Yellow-breasted ChatY

Yellow-headed BlackbirdY

Yellow-rumped Warbler Audubon's raceY

Yellow-rumped Warbler Myrtle raceY

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

http://www.linkwithin.com/install?platform=blogger&site_id=2170911&url=http%3A//tucsonsparrowseeker.blogspot.com/&email=sparrowseeker%40gmail.com