Wednesday, August 1, 2012

A home for Rufous-wings? Aug 1 2012



Rufous-winged Sparrow March 2011
 
Rufous-winged Sparrow March 2012
          

On the ride from the bus stop to work I lamented on a lot that was just cleared of vegetation opposite my workplace.   It wasn't the best habitat in the world, but had attracted many good birds over the years. Recently it even had nesting Black-throated Sparrows, a rarity in mid Tucson..  I remember seeing Northern Harriers hunting its boundaries in winter, and Lesser Nighthawks hawking insects in daylight hours during the monsoon season.   This spring I had also heard my first Rufous-crowned Sparrow within its borders.   As I sadly pondered the fact that these birds were losing their home a distant and repetitive sound tapped at my thoughts.  I realized it was not my imagination but the real call of a Rufous-winged Sparrow, almost in answer to my pondering questions.   I turned back to appreciate its sweet "ping pong ball," call and silently invited him to our neighborhood if he needed a place to stay for a while

As I rode on I remembered the lyrics to a old favorite tune, "Don't it always seem to go, that you don't know what you got till its gone....



Question:  If a tree falls in the forest and no one is there to hear it, does it make a sound. 
Answer:  A tree is never alone in the forest, and we would be all alone without trees.               
Author.  myself Aug 1 2012     




No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

http://www.linkwithin.com/install?platform=blogger&site_id=2170911&url=http%3A//tucsonsparrowseeker.blogspot.com/&email=sparrowseeker%40gmail.com