Friday, August 10, 2012

Mrs. Humms and start of fall migration

 
Field W of Big pond facing TV Wash

Baby Rufous-winged Sparrow

This has been one wet monsoon, the best one in quite a while.   We still have a month left but the rains have been so steady I don't worry too much about watering our yard.  The field west of the big pond is really looking green, with hardly a bare patch.  The new growth has attracted new migrants, and as I gingerly walked through it I came upon a Gray Flycatcher, Lark Sparrows, Gambel's Quail, Phainopepla, Cactus Wren, and a family of Rufous-winged Sparrows with at least one cute baby.  Toward evening Lesser Nighthawks circled about the pond and over the cottonwoods frenziedly feasting on the abundant flying insects.  In turn a bunch of small flying insects feasted on my unprotected legs still salty from my ride home. 







I also spotted a mystery bird, which perched briefly low in a small mesquite, which appeared to be a small flycatcher in the family empidonax but without an eyering, short wings and a narrow long rounded tail.   The lack of an eyering would point toward Willow Flycatcher some other features didn't seem to match, especially the tiny size and thin tail.   A brief attempt to relocate today and document was unsuccessful, but I did spot a group of Chipping Sparrows sporting sharp new plumage.

Mrs Humm's nest just after hatching
Although Mrs. S isn't a birder per say, she seems a bit obsessed with our Broad-billed Hummingbird nest.   She really identifies with the mother caring for her young, and worries when the wind gusts before each monsoon, the nest swinging on its fragile vine as "Mrs Humms," sits inside protecting the eggs.   At least one baby hatched on Wednesday and I've been finding our binoculars on our couch as Mrs S keeps a vigilant watch, tracking her comings and goings.  


A couple days ago my friend Mark emailed me about a Crested Caracara seen on the outskirts of our neighborhood, which has peaked my interest since it would be new for my list, and a life bird.  I plan on hitting the trail tomorrow for a relaxed bird walk in the morning.  Elsewhere in Southern Arizona are reports of Painted Buntings, Red-eyed Vireo and a Scisssor-tailed Flycatcher, which are all birds yet to be seen in this rich patch of riparian desert.    Wish me luck tomorrow!

Thank you for your appreciation of our remarkably wet and lush desert. 




No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

http://www.linkwithin.com/install?platform=blogger&site_id=2170911&url=http%3A//tucsonsparrowseeker.blogspot.com/&email=sparrowseeker%40gmail.com