Monday, January 6, 2014

Weekend Special

Saturday we took an excursion to Phoenix to help our daughter and her fiance move into her new house by Encanto Park.  I realized, perhaps a bit late, that I was one of only two guys in our moving party.  Translation-we were the two haulers to the Uhaul truck, getting our step aerobics, power lifting, furniture carrying, exercise for the month.  Since everything seems to be an adventure for me, I just had to miss-step off the truck ramp once, cutting up my knee. 
But the house was so cute, with a guest house as well, perfect for a metalsmithing/ enameling workshop.  By the way, my best Christmas present was this breathtaking ornament she gave me.  Isn't it just incredible!
 I always said I wanted some of her artwork, even a necklace, for which I would get the, "Are you out of your mind, again!" look I know so well.  Being the only guy in a house with three strong women teaches the lesson of humility often.  Of course I had Kino beside me, but his good looks kept him out of trouble for the most part.  
As we unpacked the trailer I of course got distracted by birds, counting 15 species for their yard list including cormorants, Rosy-faced Lovebirds (very appropriate for the romantic homebuyers), and an Inca Dove.   A Eurasian Collared Dove shared a perch with a probable Ringed Turtle Dove, and a Northern Mockingbird competed in song with a Curve-billed Thrasher.   
Eurasian Collared Dove and Ringed Turtle Dove


Poor Kino missed out on the fun so I took him on a trip up Mount Lemmon on Sunday.   I knew he was ready by his nervous energy in the morning, and he sat upright the whole way up the mountain, enjoying the scenery and, of course, 70's and 80's rock.   We shared my favorite, Carmela's Caprese from Beyond Bread, and he grudgingly posed for some pictures. 


 Kino really enjoyed the trip.    When we got home he slept soundly for a good while.  When he woke later he acted a little distressed, almost insecure, an unusual trait for this independent guy.  Usually when he whines it involves food, water, or when our daughters visit.  Perhaps his arthritis was bothering him.  I finally just picked him up and sat on the couch, cradling him on my lap.  This was apparently the remedy for he stretched out and leaned into me, his head resting against my arm (sorry, no selfies).  We sat for so long that when I got up my leg muscle cramped up immediately.   Tonight he is at my feet and relaxed, and the kitties are taking advantage of the coveted,  blanketed couch.   Lilly and Hadley took the high road, cuddling up on the climber like best buds. 



Lilly and Hadley-best buds

Oh yes, I forgot this is a nature blog, right.  Well, actually it may be more of a journal.   I should be birding more since I'm leading an afternoon field trip in a couple weeks for Tucson Audubon Society.  The trip is almost full so I''d better get get some scouting in, perhaps next weekend, after Kino's bath, and the vet.  Probably Sunday.  Or the next Saturday just before the trip.  Wish me luck!  Thank you for appreciating all the special things in this wild ride, life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

http://www.linkwithin.com/install?platform=blogger&site_id=2170911&url=http%3A//tucsonsparrowseeker.blogspot.com/&email=sparrowseeker%40gmail.com