Friday, January 10, 2014

Have a What!

1/9/14 -Friday. It is the start of the weekend and I began by carrying Kino the block or so over to the lawn area by the lake.  As I lowered him he fell into a sphinx-like resting position.  I put my heavy shirt over him to keep him warm.  He used to be a cold weather dog, and we'd have to drag him inside on cold nights.  I guess times change. 

I sloped next to him facing away from the road, toward the pond.  My eyes were heavy, and I drifted into semi-consciousness, my arm resting protectively over his back.  After all, mountain lions are not out of the question here and Kino is defenseless.    At the edge of my consciousness I heard voices coming from an SUV behind us on the road.  The words "cute," made me think they had seen Kino.  No sense in turning around.  "Look at the babies!" was the next phrase.  I slowly turned over to with minimal curiosity.   The sight jolted me up into sitting position.   Four javelina, two of them young babies, had just passed right by us on the lawn, and were entering the dense mesquite bosque.  

My sitting up had alerted two other adults just ten feet to my right.  One barrel-chested adult had squared off, assessing the situation.  I was assessing the situation as well.  Javelinas, while not typically a threat, but are very protective of their young, and dogs/people could be conceived as a threat.  And we had surprised them.  Kino would not be able to run away, let alone walk.  I then realized that two other adults were crossing to my right.  I had nine javelina on three sides of me, some within 15 feet.  Kino, oblivious to the situation, was surprised as I scooped him up to my chest.  If they charged I didn't want to risk a quick having to pick him up in a hurry.  Perhaps they realized I was just a protective parent too, or perhaps the stories of charging javelinas are more exaggeration than fact.  But they passed without concern except a rush to get back into cover. 

 As I carried Kino back home I was comforted by the curious excitement of the passengers in the SUV.   It was refreshing to see others with an appreciation of nature, especially the javelina.  I was also surprised that these stocky hoofed animals could approach so close, so silently,  without my knowledge.  Of course, these circumstances in life are when we are most "awake," and I am most thankful for the experience.  When was the last time you were awakened by a wildlife experience?  I'd love to hear it.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

http://www.linkwithin.com/install?platform=blogger&site_id=2170911&url=http%3A//tucsonsparrowseeker.blogspot.com/&email=sparrowseeker%40gmail.com