Saturday, July 14, 2012

Species appreciation -Sage Sparrow


Birding is sometimes like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're going to get... or for that matter, when.   I focus on my neighborhood wildlife I would rather see lifebirds here than travel elsewhere to find them.  It is so much more of an enriching experience, especially if I am the first tgo discover it.  
In some cases, though, it is beneficial to study a bird elsewhere so you know it well enough to recognize it in the neighborhood when it finally does arrive.   Or perhaps it's just that I lose patience and take the easy way out.  One example of lost patience was the Elegant Trogan, for which, after some years of hoping for a sighting in our neighborhood, I broke down and went to Madera Canyon, where I received excellent views. 


It was the same story for the Sage Sparrow.  I had been so hopeful of a sighting in our neighborhood
, since it is seen in outlying, areas throughout Arizona, usually in sparsely vegetated areas.   Sounds logical, right?  But ten years passed without any sightings, and I decided it was time to see it elsewhere to "sharpen my identification skills."  It was the winter of 2009 I believe, and there was a sparrow workshop during the Wings over Willcox celebration.  Rumor had it that the chances were excellent for seeing Sage Sparrows on the sparrow tour with Homer Hansen.   I signed up with high hopes of seeeing my first Sage Sparrow ever, a lifer.  

The class was very informative.  But, as luck would have it, we were skunked on Sage Sparrows even long extensive searches in sagebrush habitat.  It just wasn't a good year for them.   I had at least gained more knowledge on this incredible but elusive bird.   

Eight months passed.   It was a Thursday in September and I was riding home after a late meeting at work.   I hoped just to get home before dark.   It was going to be close.   By the time I rode down Woodland my cares were almost dissipated, and I exited the road into the field just before home.   As I rode passed the barbed wire fence I saw movement in the rabbitbrush just ahead.   It immediately intrigued me since it seemed to be running between bushes, and it wasn't a rodent, and the area was scantilly vegetated...Sage Sparrow habitat! 

It was almost dusk, but luckily the bird was cooperating, staying close to the path.  A look through the bins confirmed my suspicions-my first Sage Sparrow, ever, and in my neighborhood!   Luckily I also had my video camera and took some altogether cheesy, but documentable video.  I told some friends who know some things, especially on birds, and they came over on the weekend, finding the bird as well, while I got slightly better video.   At the time they had searched the database and could not find any other records for Sage Sparrow inside the Tucson City limits.   Even since then I haven't heard of any other sightings in the Tucson area.  

That blissful weekend was the last time I saw the bird.  In a quirky coincidence utility work was scheduled there on Monday and trucks drove over the entire corner habitat.   I still search for another chance encounter with my elusive friend, hoping lightning does indeed strike twice in the same sagebrush habitat. 

In the meantime, I leave you with this verse and video in honor of this bearer of good fortune in the barest of deserts, the Sage Sparrow!

Scarborough Sparrow

Have you seen a sparrow most rare...
Art thou see Sage Sparrow in time...
I searched the fields of Willcox to find him..
only to see in this neighborhood of thine

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

http://www.linkwithin.com/install?platform=blogger&site_id=2170911&url=http%3A//tucsonsparrowseeker.blogspot.com/&email=sparrowseeker%40gmail.com