Sunday, July 15, 2012

Birthday Bicycle Challenge

Well, tomorrow's my Bday and I plan on biking up Mount Lemmon from the house to celebrate.  It's like a bucket list thing to see if I can bike 30 miles from 2500' to Sky Valley at 8200'.   Can I do it?  Maybe.  I did accomplish this feat about 3 years ago preparing for a biking birdathon, but was in much better shape then, and started at the base of the mountain.   I think it will be a success if I wake up in time and attempt the climb.   And yes, the bins are coming too, as my rules do not preclude stopping for good birds.  It's all because of my philosophy (it's not about getting from point A to B, but what you experience along the way).  I will be bringing my Audubon guide for reference and my new pack (both Bday presents from Mrs S and our daughters).
So if it doesn't rain, or I don't oversleep, etc, I hope to have a nice tale to tell tomorrow.   I'm sure Kino will take a personal interest in waking me at 3:00 AM (wink).   And Mrs S knows if I'm not back by dark to cruise the road for me too (no cell phone). 

Today we had a nice rain, but not quite strong enough to wake the desert toads.   They know when the rain is about to drum on this caliche soil, and are croaking almost immediately after the storm starts.  I love to listen to them after a good dousing.   Today I this rainbow was another early Bday present, now that pot of gold should be somewhere around...is that a Hooded Oriole in the palm--focus, focus!!

Thanks again for appreciating the natural gems in our bountiful desert. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

http://www.linkwithin.com/install?platform=blogger&site_id=2170911&url=http%3A//tucsonsparrowseeker.blogspot.com/&email=sparrowseeker%40gmail.com