Sunday, August 3, 2014

It's a Slitherin" to be Sure!

August began with some of our best monsoon rains of the season.  For three days now we've had showers.  It felt so refreshing I didn't mind working outside today while drops fell and clouds grumbled muffled warnings.  I was hoping to plant a Screwbean Mesquite in the front yard, but realized the concrete-like caliche was beyond the capabilities of even my trusty pick.   I stopped by Ace and found a new best friend, a nice long digging bar, which turned 6 hours of work into one.  

Next step was to transfer rich compost from the back yard to the front via hardy bird seed bags.   I am always a bit wary of digging up the compost, mostly in winter, since it is a nice place for lizards or frogs to seek shelter.  As I removed the newer layers to get to the richer soil a variety bugs scurried out of the hole about my feet.   Many homeowners feel they have to be at war with the insects in their yard which is a shame since they play such a vital role in the food chain.   I hope our insects will bring a future Western Screech Owl to our home, attracted by our diversity of prey items.   

On my third trip back a young spiny lizard was on the wall just over the hole, obviously attracted by the easy meal.  As I looked down the circular three foot deep hole I noticed movement of something other than insects.  It glided in and out of the small debris at the bottom of the hole, it's body about the size of a large, stretched out earthworm.  I carefully went into the hole and, after some effort, scooped up the small ground snake and temporarily put it into a 8" diameter aluminum can, so I could show Mrs. S and Tonya.

 It was a Smith's Black-headed Snake, a cute ground snake with such glistening smooth scales you would swear they had just been oiled(see more on Smith's Black-headed Snake from the resourceful,"Reptiles of Arizona," website.)   This was only my second sighting of such a little wonder, the first being about six years ago, again in our compost hole.   I quickly took a couple pics and let him go a few feet from where I found him in an area with lots of ground cover for a snake to weave through.   The mesquite planting would have to wait another day since it was too dark to safely (safely for the animals) dig out more rich soil. 


It's late and I'd better sleep-big day of planting tomorrow!  At least I have some trusty companions to hang out with me in the late hours as I get back into writing.  Deebs loves to lean up against my arm when I type, and Scout is his good buddy.  They even have a friendly wrestling session every night at about the same time.  It always makes me chuckle.  Thank you for appreciating our neighbors regardless of size or species.










No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

http://www.linkwithin.com/install?platform=blogger&site_id=2170911&url=http%3A//tucsonsparrowseeker.blogspot.com/&email=sparrowseeker%40gmail.com