Sunday, August 25, 2013

A touch of Rufous 7/30/13

I'd just returned from a short IBA survey.   The birds had been quiet, possibly due to the dryness these past few days.   I set about watering the plants, changing the hummingbird feeders, and other tasks while the coffee I had early that morning still provided some kick.  

As I walked into the yard a familiar neighborhood sound reached my ears.  It was familiar in the neighborhood but had never been heard from our property.  I was coming from the adjoining neighbor's yard, just over the wall.   That ping pong ball rhythm was unmistakable.   After 15 years there was finally a Rufous-winged Sparrow in our immediate area.   I remember dreaming about this day, even being envious when another great birder told how this sparrow had been attracted to the acacia at his house.   I encouraged acacia growth in our yard hoping this bird would find it pleasant enough to call home.  That day has finally arrived.   It was like a late birthday present.  

Rufous-winged Sparrow (photo 7-27-13 in wash)

I went about my tasks energized by the excitement of my new neighbor.   I even put in 6 new plantings, although 2 have since been "trimmed," by our rock squirrels.  Oh well.   Thank you for appreciating our new double-whiskered neighbor, the Rufous-winged Sparrow. 






(this section written Aug 15th)
I was walking Kino on the last days of July when I heard a strange sound in our neighborhood, one which hadn't been heard in years.   The soft double noted cooing projected itself from a dense area of mesquites and understory plants which is home to Bell's Vireo's, Abert's Towhee's, an occasional Vermillion Flycatcher, and the aforementioned Rufous-winged Sparrow.  The Inca Dove's peaceful cooing was like a cool breeze on a summer day, very refreshing.   I listened to it as a musician would a performance of a lost Mozart concerto.  Incidentally, the in flight the Inca Dove shows rufous primaries.
Selasphorus Hummingbird

In our yard the additional hummingbird feeders are creating quite a stir, especially in the front yard.  One feeder which is guarded heavily by an Anna's Hummingbird seemed to be taken over by another, more aggressive species.  The selasphorus hummingbird is probably a female Rufous, which is nearly indistinguishable from the female Allen's Hummingbird.  But in most shots the outermost tail feather seems wide, which would seem to indicate Rufous.   Either way it is a great backyard bird not seen in the last few years.   Thank you for your appreciation of the amazing nature seen right in your own ecosystem, your yard!


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

http://www.linkwithin.com/install?platform=blogger&site_id=2170911&url=http%3A//tucsonsparrowseeker.blogspot.com/&email=sparrowseeker%40gmail.com