Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Under the spell of Lower Tanque Verde Falls


Sunday I hiked an area where our neighborhood wash meets the mountains.  My hike started high, then traversed through various switchbacks down the steep rocky slope of a canyon.  It may have been easier if I hadn't mistaken an animal trail for the main trail, which took a more direct and challenging route to the stream below.   On the trail birds were scarce save for a calling Ash-throated Flycatcher and Cactus Wrens.   As I finally descended to the running stream below it seemed I had stumbled into a natural paradise.  Steep cliffs on either side of the stream seemed to tower over the rich ecosystem in a protective stance.   As I braced myself against a large boulder a Canyon Treefrog leaped, and as he landed on the rock below, his camouflaged body seemed to melt into the stone's grainy pattern.  Two other tree frogs were barely discernible as the clutched to a small shady crevice on the huge boulder I was using for support.  

The musical chorus began as I entered this tiny world of enchantment.   Canyon Wrens belted out their sweet melodic song, which echoed back and forth against the opposing cliff faces.  A Bell's Vireo squeaked out his message for a mate, and a Lincoln's Sparrow "chucked," from the dense understory of grasses and plants.   Scolding Cactus Wrens seemed to be all around, and White-thoated Swifts chattered as they circled the canyon, their crescent-shaped wings slicing through the strong breeze as they banked against the steep canyon walls.   Some Turkey Vultures decided to use the funneled air currents to lift themselves up effortlessly as they explored this scenic passage from above.   A Common Raven flew to an eyrie 2/3rds up one sheer wall, probably staking out a nest.  

The huge obstacle course of boulders seemed to block my passage to other interesting areas upstream, yet I was content in my little section of heaven.   The Canyon Wrens were holding their territory, the lowest nest area I've seen for this species around Tucson, and at almost the same elevation.   A House Wren was also on the scene, entering Saguaro holes, probably in search for spiders.   As my eyes watched the slopes they picked up an oddity, a Great Horned Owl roosting on the ground up the steep rocky slope, his stern eye scolding me for my discovery. 

My two hours in this area seemed like days, and I can still picture the sound of the softly gurgling stream flowing through the rich riparian ecosystem nestled within the brotherly protection of the steep cliff walls.  I hope this serenely overpowering retreat will continue to be a source of spiritual rejuvenation for all who visit for many thousands of generations in the future.   

Thank you for appreciating this natural paradise which we share with our non-human friends and neighbors. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

http://www.linkwithin.com/install?platform=blogger&site_id=2170911&url=http%3A//tucsonsparrowseeker.blogspot.com/&email=sparrowseeker%40gmail.com