Friday, June 22, 2012

GBBC and other news

This past week we've added a couple birds to the 2012 yard list.   Today a Ladder-backed Woodpecker was calling from a neighbor's front yard, then came in full view.  Sorry, no pics.   When I was walking Kino last weekend I heard the familiar call of an American Robin, from a Eucalyptus about 30 yards from our house (and clearly would be seen and heard from the house). 

I had a great time counting birds for the Great Backyard Bird Count.  There were many highlights in the yard and neighborhood, and even on Kino's walks.   We tallied about 40 species on one walk alone!   And that's without Kino even trying....really.    We had Western Bluebirds, American Robins, and even a Red-naped Sapsucker.  A Green-tailed Towhee and White-crowned Sparrow cooperated nicely for photos in our back yard, and I managed a plausible shot of an Orange-crowned Warbler at "the TV loop."




The highlight came from a nearby mesquite bosque.  As I entered the mesquites almost immediately I picked out the form of a Long-eared Owl.  I had seen one in this location before, but that was months earlier.  I quickly digiscoped some photos hoping for a clear shot, even though the bird was facing the opposite direction.  I was slightly disappointed when I noticed another similar silhouette several feet from the first, facing front.   A second Long-eared Owl!  I got a few more photos, then left to give them peace.   The next day I found only one owl, but those 3 sightings were the only ones for Arizona of this species for the GBBC.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

http://www.linkwithin.com/install?platform=blogger&site_id=2170911&url=http%3A//tucsonsparrowseeker.blogspot.com/&email=sparrowseeker%40gmail.com