Sunday, February 5, 2012

New yard bird

I was watching out our window when it appeared in the mesquite just over the wall.  It was moving slowly from branch to branch like a warbler.  As I focused the bins my initial reaction was a Ruby-crowned Kinglet, but the black bar on the wing was missing, and it had a thicker bill.   A Hutton's Vireo! The first for our yard!  I watched as it plucked some sort of grub or caterpillar from a tree branch.  Typical vireo behavior.  Whenever I see any vireo it seems they are always finding food among those branches.  No other bird seems to be as lucky or skillful.  

The birds are beginning to look plump now, especially the White-crowned Sparrows.   Mourning Doves are calling out their mournful song.  Sometimes their flight looks accipiter-like as they stiffen their wings and glide.   It feels like spring even though there's always the possibility of another cold snap.  Our brittlebush is getting green leaves again and the chuparosa is also rebounding with new flowers, just recovering from the last frost. 

I planted another 7 plants today in the front yard, hoping our White-throated Wood Rat will let them be and that the nights stay above freezing.   Some buckwheat, a dalea, a sage, 2 varieties of globemallow, and a grass (Long-tongue Muhle).  I pondered my previous entry as I planted a globemallow, hoping these plants would attract wildlife.   A small orange butterfly appeared suddenly and darted about in front of me.  It almost seemed like it was reaching out to me, trying to communicate with this dumb human.   My watering can ran dry so I quickly filled up at the hose and returned.  As I looked down there was the butterfly sitting on the newly planted globemallow even though it had no blooms as of yet?   I felt reassured somehow by this simple act.  

I also had a close encounter with a small lizard who ventured within a couple feet of me as I filled up the water jug.  It also had no fear.  After a hard day's work in the yard I was just finishing up when some sparrows flushed from the brush pile.   I stopped to prevent a further outpouring due to my presence.   As I stood quietly, a Green-tailed Towhee appeared just three feet from me, totally at ease in my presence as he meandered about the low branches.  It was a nice afternoon with 18 species visiting or passing over our yard.   Here's the list!

  1. Hutton's Vireo
  2. Rock Pigeon
  3. Lesser Goldfinch
  4. Abert's Towhee
  5. Phainopepla
  6. Green-tailed Towhee
  7. Lincoln's Sparrow (2)
  8. White-crowned Sparrow
  9. House Sparrow
  10. House Finch
  11. Yellow-rumped Warbler
  12. Anna's Hummingbird
  13. Broad-billed Hummingbird
  14. Gila Woodpecker
  15. Gambel's Quail
  16. Mourning Dove
  17. Mallard
  18. Common Raven

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

http://www.linkwithin.com/install?platform=blogger&site_id=2170911&url=http%3A//tucsonsparrowseeker.blogspot.com/&email=sparrowseeker%40gmail.com