Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Curve-billed Thrasher song

Today as I rode home along Woodland Road I was turned about by a melodic song. I turned around thinking at first of an Eastern Meadowlarks,"Spring of the year," melody, then realized it was the sweet repertoire of the Curve-billed Thrasher. This particular bird was belting out his sweet whistled harmony with great vocal force it felt like he was giving a concert for all neighborhood wildlife before they turned in for the night.
So many times I've been approached by neighbors or budding enthusiasts about a bird singing the sweetest of songs somewhere in their yard. They never think of this unassuming bird until I bring up the name to them. It is then they realize they have had a Curve-billed Thrasher in their yard, but are more familiar with their,"Wheat-wheat," call. I also have a close connection with this bird from an event over 10 years ago, when Kino was still in his first year.
I was walking puppy Kino by the big pond when I noticed a group of Great-tailed Grackles harassing another bird in mid-air over the middle of the lake. The bird was forced into the water, where it flapped furiously toward the shore in a desperate attempt to reach land before its feathers became heavy with water. I watched with great concern while running with Kino toward the other side of the lake, where the shoreline pushed further into the lake. As I reached the far shore it was obvious the bird was losing its battle for its precious life. In fact, it was still in the middle, and now only flapped occasionally, obviously exhausted.
Now this lake isn't meant for swimming, especially in late November, but I stripped down and told Kino he would have to have his, "off the leash lesson a little early." Luckily it unseasonably warm that day and the water was not too cold as I waded toward the bird. Kino looked at me with disbelief and horror as he yelped, pleading for me to stop this insanity. Twenty yards later I was almost to the thrasher when the strangest thing happened-he actually flapped over to my shoulder and climbed on. Was it desperation or an uncommon trust between humanity and nature? Later, when I called the wildlife rehabilitation hot line they seemed equally astonished, and even inquired as to whether the bird could have been a pet, which was out of the question.
Despite swimming with caution, the thrasher kept being washed off my shoulder, so I held him cupped gently in one hand, held high over the water, using the other three limbs to get back to shore. Kino was very relieved and curious, but seemed to know the urgency of the situation. I wrapped the helpless bird in a shirt, and walked briskly to the house, where we kept him overnight in safety, while he dried out (as per the recommendation of the helpline). The next day we released him.
The next year we had our first known nesters in our yard, 2 Curve-billed Thrashers in a cholla in our front yard. I love to listen to their long, sweet, whistled, joyful melody, a song which can compete side by side with the Common Loon's famous nightly melody.
Putting out no-melt suet or peanuts can attract Curve-billed Thrashers to your yard, although they are generalists and can eat most bird foods. I like to use nut-flavored suet personally. They like to use their deeply curved bills to flick leaf litter as they search for insects, a fun sight to watch. Planting cholla will also attract this sweet bird, as well as Cactus Wrens for nesting. In fact, they may even alternate in the same nest! Since both species are year-round inhabitants you could see over 3 clutches each year.
Thank you for appreciating our amazing neighborhood wildlife.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

http://www.linkwithin.com/install?platform=blogger&site_id=2170911&url=http%3A//tucsonsparrowseeker.blogspot.com/&email=sparrowseeker%40gmail.com